Friday, December 30, 2022

My Standard End of the Year Post: What to Eat OR Not on the Eve of the New Year.

 


Back in 2012 when I was looking for new dishes to serve for New Year's Eve, I came across an excellent article on what to eat and what not to eat on the Eve.  I served only what was on the "to eat" list and ate plenty of it.  This New Year’s will be no different.  I may change up a few dishes this year, but I will be including plenty of green food!  

Here is the original post:

What are you eating this New Year that may bring you good luck throughout 2017?  When I sat down to plan my New Year’s menu and typed in “foods for New Year’s”, I was led to this*, an excellent little article on traditions and what are believed to be lucky foods.  There are six major categories: grapes, greens, fish, pork, legumes, and cakes.  I also found it interesting that the amount of greens that are eaten may predict one’s fortune.  That could explain why I am so poor.  Our tradition was to eat a spoonful of sauerkraut at midnight.  This year I am eating tons of sauerkraut.  I’ll also be serving pork (it signifies wealth and prosperity) and I’m thinking of trying my hand at baking a dessert from Holland: the ollie bollen, a puffy, donut-like pastries filled with apples, raisins, and currants.

There is also a list of What Not to Eat.  “Lobster is a bad idea because they move backwards and could therefore lead to setbacks. Chicken is also discouraged because the bird scratches backwards, which could cause regret or dwelling on the past. Another theory warns against eating any winged fowl because good luck could fly away.”

I'm thinking of following with the German custom (or superstition) of leaving a little bit of each food on your plate past midnight to guarantee a stocked pantry in the New Year.  Nothing wrong with cleaning up in the morning.

No matter what your plans, or menu, have a wonderful, safe and blessed New Year's Eve!!!!

 Merrily, Trish

*(please note that the link will take you to Epicurious, the original article has been deleted/updated).  HOWEVER, Bon Appetit's article on 10 foods that will bring you luck in the New Year was a help in my menu planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment